Welcome to your next year of medical school and congratulations to everyone that has recently completed the Level 1 or Level 2 board exams. All of your hard work is paying off and the finish line is getting closer and closer.
On top of the stress of medical school, this has been a turbulent and confusing time for students, universities, and physicians alike due to the COVID-19 pandemic. As cases continue to rise, there is a constant unsettling, anxious feeling among all medical students. However, with new challenges come new opportunities and ideas to enhance our medical education. Schools and residency programs have begun integrating more structured and comprehensive virtual learning platforms to accommodate students who are unable to travel.
Keeping up with the latest trends, the SAOAO and AOAO have been brainstorming a variety of methods to facilitate connections between students, residencies, and physician mentors while still providing a safe environment for everyone. Below is a list of some new SAOAO programs and changes to look forward to this Fall!
- Fall Conference: With the uncertainty of COVID-19, the SAOAO is working to create more virtual resources. We will update all members via social media and emails in the near future.
- New Website: The new SAOAO website is now live and includes all the information you could need to succeed as a medical student pursuing an Orthopedic surgery residency.
- Free Copy of Pocket Pimped: Thanks to the support of the AOAO, the SAOAO has partnered with Pocket Pimped to provide a FREE copy of their “Orthopedic Surgery” edition to every new SAOAO member! Pocket Pimped is considered gold by all Orthopedic residents and is the perfect resource to prepare you for audition rotations.
- Free White Coat Coaching Subscription: The AOAO has graciously sponsored a limited number of 1-month subscriptions to White Coat Coaching’s “Ortho Jump Start” course for SAOAO members who are beginning their 4th year of medical school. If you have not received your code, please email the SAOAO at email@example.com to receive your access code.
- Membership Fee: With the launch of the new SAOAO website, membership fees will be at a new, one-time price of $60. The SAOAO Executive Board and AOAO want to provide more broadly accessible resources to all of our members and this fee will allow for expanded ventures.
- Executive Board Elections: Wanting to build your leadership skills and build the future of the SAOAO while making great connections in the process? Annual SAOAO Executive Board elections will be taking place in October. Watch for social media updates and emails with information on how to run for a position. The following positions will be available to all SAOAO members:
- Vice President
- Conference Chair
- Recruitment Chair
- Membership Chair
Best of luck to everyone during the upcoming school year and STAY SAFE!
Please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions, ideas, or for any advice.